Saturday, October 28, 2017

Chestnut Mountain Road - Gorges State Park

Adventure is necessary. 

That line is stolen but it is one of my favorite philosophies. It is a theme that comes up frequently in a community that I recently joined, Overland Bound (https://www.overlandbound.com/). They encourage exploration, responsible stewardship of the land, learning new skills, and community. I've traveled deep in the woods for years a lot of different ways - on foot, bike, kayak, packraft. 

Recently, I've been exploring in the Jeep. It has allowed me to learn new skills. I have been able to take Jenny and the kids deep in the woods to see things they wouldn't be able to see otherwise. When I'm exploring with the Jeep I'm able to see the wilderness from a completely different perspective. It's refreshing. 

I took a vacation day this Friday so I could scout trails near Sapphire, NC & Clayton, GA. Poor planning limited me to the first but that turns out to be just fine. There is a forest service road that exits the back side of Gorges State Park in North Carolina that goes over the Horsepasture River and eventually out to the NW side of Lake Jocassee. I stopped at the river campsite this time but plan to go back and explore more. 


The drive out was perfect with 65F temperatures and lots of early color from the Fall leaves.




Endless possibility out there.



Roughly 10 miles back from Gorges State Park to the river



Bridge over the Horsepasture River




The meals from Patagonia Provisions are very good. 
I added a little chicken to the black bean chili. 


Peace & quiet


I love being alone deep in the woods


I don't mind sleeping on the ground. In fact, I look forward to it on most of my trips. 
I have to admit, it is nice knowing I'll be sleeping in the Tepui rooftop tent.


Breakfast by the river (and in the rain)


I cold watch the river play for hours


On the drive home I stopped by the overlook to Upper Whitewater Falls


Stunning beauty here on the East Coast. It reminds me of the falls we saw in Yosemite. 




The forest fires last year destroyed a lot of forest in this area. All of the carpentry for this overlook was destroyed. The replacement step system is well done. Kudos, NC State Parks! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! A nice peaceful get away trip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant basic Article clearly, I took in a ton thanks once more. I'm building a quality and might need to get a partner from you next times. The most awaited topics will be!

    UV Lamp Supplier

    ReplyDelete